Vaseline is widely used by the large population for multiple purposes. However, new research shows that this product is anything but healthy, and should not be used for conditions such as chapped lips, congestion, diaper rash and dry skin.
Defining Petroleum Jelly
Petroleum jelly also goes by the name of Vaseline, and represents a product composed of the remains of the oil refining process. It was initially discovered in the mid-1800’s, when it was used for coating the bottom of oil rigs in the.
Since it represents a mere byproduct, Vaseline is definitely not natural and represents a serious health threat for that matter.
The way it works
Although Vaseline is used in large number of products starting from baby products to lotions and creams, it does not act as healthy as it is stated. Its first role is to protect the skin and keep it moistened, but this also creates an atmosphere for bacteria multiplication and pores shut down.
In case you ever used it on burns, you probably prevented the organism’s natural ability to fight off the heat and allowed it to preserve it within the tissue.
If you are still not convinced, here are four more reasons on why you need to stop using Vaseline today:
- It Is Full Of Hydrocarbons
Since our skin is unable to process the applied Vaseline, it becomes exposed to more severe health problems. Acting as a protective coat (but not really) the petroleum jelly disables the body from absorbing the needed compounds to truly heal.
One study, conducted back in 2011 states that found in Vaseline was mineral oil hydrocarbons, which represent “the greatest contaminant of the human body.”
- It Destroys the Skin’s Collagen
Petroleum jelly burdens the skin upon application, and this way, it doesn’t allow it to breathe or to take in important nutrients and substances. On the long scale, this leads to more collagen being spent in order to keep the skin moisturized.
- It Increases the Estrogen Levels
This condition is also known as estrogen dominance and it usually happens when the organism contains more than the allowed or normal levels of estrogen, while keeping the progesterone levels low.
If this happens, the major health threats that follow are normally infertility, menstrual problems, allergies and autoimmune problems. Vaseline contains a lot of chemicals known as xenoestrogens, and this is the main reason for the elevated estrogen presence inside the body.
4. It Can Cause Pneumonia
Furthermore, you might find yourselves experiencing a health condition that goes by the name of lipid pneumonia.
This state happens if and when you inhale a significant amount of petroleum jelly, meaning that the body is incapable of disposing of the substance on its own, so lung inflammation occurs.
Natural Alternatives To Vaseline
Mother Nature took care of us very well, and for this reason it gave us many other solutions instead of Vaseline that are actually healthy and recommended.
Here are some of them:
– Shea Better – packed with Vitamins A, E and F, Shea butter can nurture the skin to perfection and allow it to absorb the healthy fatty acids it needs. Also, it will boost the collagen production and prevent inflammation- side effect free, too!
– Beeswax – this option is greatly used around the world, since the beeswax is an excellent skin protector. You can always use it as a lip balm or a body lotion as well.
– Coconut Oil – the benefits of coconut oil are countless, because it provides the skin with plenty of fatty acids, lauric acid and anti-inflammatory qualities rarely found elsewhere.
– Cocoa Butter – this is a mighty antioxidant that not only protects the skin but also slows down the aging process.