Night leg cramps are also known as nocturnal leg cramps, and they are defined as muscle contractions or spasms which usually happen during the night. Nocturnal leg cramps appear mainly in the lower leg, even though they can appear in the feet and the thighs as well. They provoke sharp and severe pain and are able to wake you up in the middle of the night. These cramps usually last for a few seconds; however, sometimes they can last even for several minutes. Often times, people feel the soreness in the muscles even after the pain is gone. There are cases in which people feel the soreness during the entire following day and following night.
Night leg cramps are more common in people over the age of 50, and appear both in men and women.
Leg cramps vs. restless leg syndrome
These are syndromes that occur during the sleep, but they are totally different, and people should know that.
The restless leg syndrome is a neurological disorder that is accompanied by an uncontrollable and overwhelming urge to move your legs. Moving the legs in the case of restless leg syndrome gives a sense of relief, which is not the case with having cramps in the legs during the night.
HERE ARE THE REASONS FOR LEG CRAMPS OCCURRENCE:
– Certain exercises
– Certain medications
– Inadequate body posture
– Standing on concrete floors
– Sitting for a prolonged period of time
HERE ARE SOME ADVICES THAT ARE GOING TO BE VERY HELPFUL IN THE FIGHT AGAINST LEG CRAMPS:
– Wear ergonomic shoes
– Take more magnesium and potassium
– Do some exercises in water so that you build your leg muscles
– Take horse chestnut in order to improve the circulation in the legs
– Stretch your legs before you go to bed
– Take a warm bath before you go to bed
– Put a heating pad onto the painful area that is the result of leg cramp
OTHER HELPFUL TIPS TO CURE THOSE MUSCLE SPASMS AND CRAMPS IN THE LEGS DURING THE NIGHT:
– When getting up, move slowly and turn around a bit, as shaking your legs can also improve blood flow
– Sit on the floor and put both of your legs in front of you. Bend your feet, pointing your toes toward your knees. If you want to get a better stretch, pull your feet a little bit.
– Rub the affected area attentively, making circular movements.
– When you feel discomfort, take a tablespoon of yellow mustard, and you will alleviate the feeling of discomfort.
– You will soon reduce the occurrence of night leg cramps and they will eventually disappear.