Come summer, and we are already looking forward to eating ice-creams, swimming in the pool and wearing our favorite outfits. Though you love the season, your skin does not agree with you on this. It’s a tough season for your skin to endure. The most sensitive part of your body is the skin, and it has to constantly combat with the harsh sun. Sunburn, patchy skin, skin lesions, there’s no end to your list of skin woes. So this summer, shall we arm ourselves with remedies and find out the best way to treat sunburn on the face and other exposed areas of our body? It’s always great to be prepared for any skin issues!
The sun, not our best friend?
Well, going by doctors and scientists, we need sun exposure to a certain degree, because of the vitamin D factor. We need the sun’s rays to synthesize Vitamin D, which is hailed as the new vitamin on the block because of its health-benefitting properties. It keeps all deadly diseases at bay, even chronic diseases like cancer.
- Acne or pimples – The conditions are rife for pimples and acne to proliferate. Skin becomes oily; pores get clogged with dirt, sebum, and sweat. The result? Skin becomes prone to breakouts, something you badly want to avoid during summer. So think of a summer skin care routine to avoid that.
- Prickly heat – The most uncomfortable of sweating is prickly heat. The rash on the body is itchy and looks red and inflamed. A sprinkling of talcum powder just provides temporary relief.
- Rosacea – This skin condition is characterized by red, inflamed skin on the chin, nose, and cheek. If conditions are not checked, it may even lead to severe acne.
- Fungal infections – The summer is, in fact, an ideal time for fungi to thrive on the skin. What with sweat accumulating in the folds of skin, fungal infections seem to be the order of the day.
- Body odor – You tend to sweat a lot during the summers, and the sweat increases the instances of bacterial decomposition, which causes bad odor. So your first agenda surely should be getting rid of the embarrassing body odor.
- Skin lesions get aggravated – Skin issues like moles, skin tags, cysts get aggravated in summer. They cause slight discomfort and get inflamed during the hot and humid months.
Before the remedies, here are must-do’s to protect your skin
While you need to take care of you skin, you must know that prevention is better than cure, so before the problems start pouring in like an avalanche, get your armory ready to stun the sun the right way!
- Exfoliate and clean your skin – If you think washing your skin with a face wash can do the trick of cleaning your skin for you, you cannot be more wrong! You have to get rid of the dead cells accumulating on the skin, which gradually takes away the glow. Use a scrubber, store bought or a homemade one and mildly exfoliate your skin. It’s one of the best ways to treat sunburn. Follow it up with toning and then moisturizing.
- Tone it up – You should close down the open pores of the skin by applying a toner or an astringent, for those who have a terribly oily skin. Summer skins want that badly. Keep it in the refrigerator and keep applying.
- Reach out for your sunscreen – When in doubt, apply sunscreen, and when you are in doubt again, just reapply. Yes, keep that bottle of the wonder liquid always handy, and keep applying it since especially sweat washes off most of what you apply on your skin, so a reapplication is a must! You cannot prevent sun tan, but what you can do is curb the harmful effects somewhat.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothes made from breathable fabrics – Come summer, keep all your polyester clothes in the furthest corner of your wardrobe. You must wear clothes which do not let sweat accumulate on your skin, so cotton, linen, and other natural fabrics are just perfect. Before you spend time thinking about sunburn home remedies, try to incorporate these tips to avoid sunburn in the first place.
- Keep your creamy foundations away – Do not think of applying foundations and heavy creams on your skin! It blocks your pores and invites pimples and acne, and once you have them, they take a whole lot of time to get rid of.
- Use fragrance on the clothes rather than the skin – Do not irritate your sensitive skin by spraying fragrance directly on the skin, it causes rashes and eruptions.
Home remedies for skin disorders
Tired of breakouts affecting your skin every second day? The summer season can be a little rough on your skin. But if you are really suffering from all kinds of skin problems take a breather and treat the skin disorders from your kitchen shelf!
- Baking soda
- Mix some baking soda with some water in a bowl to a thick paste.
- Apply this paste all over your face as a facial mask for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
Treat your sun tan with this wondrous mask! sandalwood powder is a great option to try to remove your suntan. try this pack for best results.
- Sandalwood powder
- Milk/rose water
- Mix sandalwood powder with milk or rose water and make a fine paste out of that.
- Apply this paste on your face.
- Wash your face after an hour using cold water.
Home Remedy for cooling your sensitized skin Like everything else your skin needs the healing and cooling touch of natural ingredients. It does wonderful things to your skin; keep it at its glowing best.
- Dry oats
- Aloe vera gel
- Blend in some honey, dry oats, and aloe vera gel, to a fine paste.
- Apply this paste, on your face for 30 minutes, and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
Get relief from constant itch Oatmeal is a wonderful treatment for prickly rash due to its anti-irritating, anti-inflammatory and soothing properties. It will give instantaneous respite from irritating itching.
- Add one cup of finely ground oatmeal powder to a bathtub filled with cool water. Stir well, until the water gets a milky color.
- Soak in this bath for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Pat dry, your body with a soft towel.
- Fuller’s earth
- Rose water
- Mix five tablespoons of fuller’s earth with two or three tablespoons of rose water to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected areas.
- Allow it to dry on its own, and then wash it off with cold water.
- Use this simple treatment once daily for a week.
Get rid of body odor Body odor can be an embarrassing addition to your list of skin woes in summer. So try this remedy and eliminate body odor.
- Apple cider vinegar.
- Lukewarm bath water.
- Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and rub it on your underarms.
- Wait two to three minutes and then take your shower. Follow this remedy twice daily, once in the morning and again before an improvement.
- Alternatively, add one cup of apple cider vinegar to lukewarm bath water.
- Soak body in this water for 10 minutes once daily.
- You can also add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar along with a little honey to a glass of warm water. Drink it three times daily before eating your meals.
- Organic tea tree oil
- Warm water
- Add 40 Drops of Organic Tea Tree Oil to a foot bath and soak your feet for 10 minutes.
- After soaking and thoroughly drying the feet, massage a few drops of the oil directly into the affected area.
- Tea tree oil has properties that will help destroy the fungus in heavily infested areas and deter it from spreading to unaffected areas.
Try another treatment for fungal infections like athlete’s foot Athlete’s foot is a common problem in summer. The infection worsens in the summer months as sweat accumulatates in those parts infested by infections
- Fresh Garlic
- Make your feet stinkier by placing slices of fresh garlic, or some crushed garlic, between your toes and leaving them there for the day.
- You can also add the garlic to foods you eat or take a garlic supplement with the same effect; it just may take a little bit longer.
- Coconut oil
- Dab on some coconut oil over the affected areas and keep a check that the area gets a proper airing, so that sweat does not accumulate over that area.
Another popular remedy for skin lesions is using apple cider vinegar Apple cider vinegar is an effective treatment for removing all kinds of skin problems like skin tags, moles and other cellular overgrowths on the skin. You can apply it directly to the lesion, apple cider vinegar delivers an acidic compound to the growth, which causes the lesion to naturally die and fall off. This treatment also has several vitamins which let the new skin grow in place of old skin.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Cotton wool
Dab the apple cider vinegar on the skin tags and let it dry. You can reapply if you want, for best results.
Foods to keep you cool this summer
Eating can be another way of keeping your body cool and refreshed, not when you are eating spicy and oily food, though! So what should you be eating? Include these wonderful foods and live that adage ‘as cool as a cucumber’.
- Yogurt – Your go-to drink. It is a coolant and a delicious one at that. Use it for dips or desserts. Never fails to taste refreshing. So incorporate it in your summer meal ideas.
- Coconut water – Ditch your fizzy drinks and opt for this lovely drink, filled with electrolytes, simple sugars, and minerals.
- Watermelon – There is more to this green and red fruit than meets the eye. It’s full of antioxidants and having iced watermelons is just out of this world.
- Cucumber – Full of fiber with minimum calories, cucumber is a must have in your easy summer foods.
- Mint – It’s a most refreshing herb to add to your best summer foods list. Add the zesty herb to your smoothies and feels the liquid refreshing your parched throat!
- Onions – An unlikely coolant, and a versatile one at that, adds to lots of curries and dishes. Include the red ones as they contain quercetin, a natural anti-allergen. Add this to your summer meals for hot days.
- Lime – These pint-sized wonders are full of vitamin C and can add freshness to any salad or drink. Add it to your drinks, and you will never miss your calorie -laden drinks.
- Melon – Again, zero percent calories and hundred percent freshness, because of its high water content. So a ready inclusion in your summer meal ideas in hot days.
So, this summer, arm yourselves with these effective tricks and slay the season with a happy demeanor. There are so many things to look forward to in the season, do not let these mild niggles and worries deter you from having some serious fun.