Background to ‘Fatness’
It’s very difficult to preserve proper body weight. These days, nearly every person, even those who exercise regularly, has problem with weight. Even more alarming is that more and more young kids have problem with obesity and there are even children who are born obese. For example, there are communities in India where 40% of people are overweight and statistics shows that very soon half of the world’s population will have problem with excess body weight.
Problems with being weighty
Obesity causes many diseases.
Overweight people are at bigger risk of high blood pressure, cardiac problems, digestive disorders, diabetes, ulcers, gout, thyroid problems, etc.
It also causes psychological and physical stress.
Over weighted people consume more food than they actually need. It’s proven that 1/3 of the world population eats 50% more food than they need. If we all eat as much food as we need, the shortage of water and food can be solved very easy.
Why do people become overweight?
Everyone knows that it’s very easy to gain a few extra pounds and we usually realize that we have a problem when it’s too late. Here are some of the reasons why we gain extra pounds:
- Unhealthy lifestyle – insomnia, sleeping late, unpredictable work hours, etc.
- No physical activity. Nowadays, people are mostly having a sedentary lifestyle- everything we did previously, now is done by machines. We spend too many hours sitting in front of the computer, and we don’t socialize like we did before. We never walk – we just take a cab or drive
- Bad eating habits -very often we consume fast food, and even the healthy food is not always healthy
- Bakes, flour, bread, pastries and fried food are some of the foods that we consume every day
- We also consume packaged and processed foods
Are we overweight?
We are frequently not aware that we should lose weight. So here is how you can find out if you are overweight:
If you are eating frequently but you still feel hungry.
If people tell you that you have gained weight.
Have you noticed that you have visible extra pounds? If you have, then you need to change your lifestyle and diet.
The fat percentage and the waist-to-hip (WTH) ratio can show you if you are overweight. There are established percentages that mustn’t be passed. Therefore, for women are 25% and 2.3 % increase is tolerated. However if you were 22% before, and now you are 25%, then you should be careful. Checking BMI or lean body mass may be confusing, so it is best to avoid it.
The best way to learn if you have gained weight is with your clothes. If they are becoming small then you should be alarmed.
Fast weight loss diet plan
You need to make a diet plan when you become aware that you are overweight. You can try making it on your own or you can find some on the internet. However you should follow these advises:
- Do not drink water after and during meals
- Eat a little less food than you feel you need. Consume meals that are small enough so you can feel hungry every 2-3 hours
- Don’t drink too much alcohol, coffee, soft drinks, tea, and canned juice
- Choose a liquid diet with milk and numerous soups. 25-30% of your meals should be liquid, while the rest may be solid food
- Don’t eat later than 8 PM. If you feel hungry, you can drink a cup of milk or take a piece of some fruit
- For snacks, you can have seasonal fruit, lime juice, smoothies or salad. Still, you shouldn’t eat snacks more than 4 times a day
- Eat lightly cooked vegetarian food
- Don’t consume junk food (hot-dog, fried foods, canned food, processed foods, pastries, sweets, pizza, since they are rich in preservatives and chemicals)
- Try to walk at least 4 times a day for around 15 minutes, before meals
- Start and end your day with a glass of warm water