Shampoos that we buy and regularly use contain numerous dangerous chemicals that can really seriously affect our health.
Chemicals that can be found in shampoos:
- Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) is often used as a preservative in shampoos. It is a combination of two organic ingredients, and many studies have related it to allergies, endocrine disruption, organ system toxicity and cancer.
- Fragrance, indicating the presence of different chemical ingredients
- Cocamidopropyl betaine, which is a synthetic surfactant, related to skin rashes and irritation.
- Laureth sulfate, which may lead to skin and scalp irritation
- 1,4-Dioxane, which is alleged to be a human carcinogen
Shampoos reduce the natural oils of the scalp, you if you start using natural hair treatments you will stimulate the production of oil in the hair.
Therefore, when you stop using these shampoos, you will notice that your hair appears oilier than usually, but this will not be the case after a few weeks since your scalp will adjust to the new ingredients.
The most effectively, and still cheap, simple and completely natural way to wash your hair is to use baking soda and vinegar. This is how to wash your hair with this mixture:
Combine baking soda and water in a ratio 1:3 in a small squeeze bottle. For instance, if you hair length is up to the shoulders, combine 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda with 3 times that amount of water. According to your hair length, you should adjust the needed amounts.
You can apply this mixture on both, dry or wet hair. Begin at the hair roots and apply it to the ends. Leave the mixture on the hair for several minutes, in order to be able to provide the desired effect, and then wash your hair with warm water.
For the preparation of the vinegar rinse, you need to mix 1 part white or apple cider vinegar with 4 parts water. You can also add some essential oil, like peppermint, lavender or rosemary, in order to enrich the smell and reduce the one of the vinegar.
Then, you should tilt your head back, and apply the rinse to your hair. Rinse it with cold water after several seconds.